WHY DORITOS AND CHEETOS PRODUCTS ARE NOT HALAL IN USA &
Lot of Muslims calls Frito Lay Company to find out the Halal status of Doritos and Cheetos products. The 800 personnel are trained by the company to tell consumers that their cheeses are made with microbial rennet enzyme. But many Muslims are not aware that the rennet is not only thing, which decide the Halal status of a cheese.
There are other things which has to be Halal if used during manufacture of a cheese such as Mother Culture Media, Bulk Culture Media (which is used to grow bacterial cheese cultures), other Enzymes such as Lipase and finally dairy flavors containing Enzymes, if the rennet is from microbial and above mentioned are not from Halal source then cheese will not be Halal. The culture medias are made with milk, whey and lactose (Haram if made from pork rennet, Haram media, pork enzymes), dried autolyzed brewer’s yeast (by product of beer) and Pancreatin (Haram if from pork). If culture media is pure milk then it is Halal.
We explained to Frito Lay Nutritionist supervisor Ms. Nina Ferguson about the requirements for Halal cheese and other ingredients. She is not aware of what are Halal and its requirements for Doritos and Cheetos products. We offered our help to educate them about Halal status of their products.
Doritos and Cheetos products are not Halal because of the following reasons:
1. The ingredients they used are not Halal or kosher certified.
2. The products are made on the same line where animal derived ingredients (including pork) containing products are manufactured.
3. Cheese used in Doritos and Cheetos products is not Halal or kosher certified. So cheese in Doritos and Cheetos is not Halal.
4. Dairy ingredients used in Doritos and Cheetos products are not Halal or kosher certified. So Doritos and Cheetos products are not made with Halal dairy ingredients.
5. Natural and Artificial flavors used are not Halal or kosher certified. These flavors may have contained animal derived ingredients and alcohol as a solvent.
6. Artificial Liquid colors used are Halal or kosher certified (Pork glycerin can be used as a solvent in FD&C liquid colors).
7. Doritos and Cheetos products are not Halal or kosher certified, so there is no protection for Muslim consumers. The source of ingredients can be change at any time without informing Muslim consumers.Muslim Consumer Group does not recommend Muslims to consume Doritos and Cheetose products because of the above facts.